Saturday, January 30, 2010

Not Made for It...

Not even a week left for Minor-I to begin, and that too after almost 6 months in my case, and loads of other important works to deal with, I am finding myself idle!! After having slept for almost 3 hours after a dismal lunch, I still found myself unable to feel like studying. With my proxy also squished, I had nothing better to do than trying to keep myself into the books. But then came the generic loud announcement of some other wing-mates, inviting for a game of TT. Last time I picked up a TT bat was only in my first semester, and then I had played terribly bad. Discouraged, I had given up, convinced that it was not my cup of tea and since I am used to playing badminton, I was hitting too hard (Badminton is the only sport I am quite good at :) ). But today's boredom took me unguarded, and I without giving another thought, followed others to the TT Room, at least I could be audience.

The first game between Rijul, Mittal, Tiwari and Dude was no where near a show. Everyone seemed to be hitting in darkness with Mittal occasionally hitting some nice shots. Tiwari and dude seemed pathetic. Then I felt that perhaps I had given up too early. The small ball, that hardly needed a flick to be sent across the net suddenly appeared to be manageable. I completely ignored my previous failures, whenever I had tried my hand at sports. Since childhood I had been exceptionally bad at one thing, it was sports. We used to play cricket in our colony playground, and I owned the (dis)pleasure of being taken last in a team, owing to my weak game. It used to be an achievement for me to score some thing like a four, or field even somewhere near the boundaries, leave apart a catch. In school, I always liked to play football, hockey or basketball, because in these games my individual performance was hardly noticed and I enjoyed running from one goal post to other. I used to be stronger in indoor games like chess, carrom and computer gaming, though my this belief was also shaken when I met champions in IIT.

Soon after school, I got lost in books, first preparing for JEE, and then in IIT trying hard to be called a nine pointer, something in which I was confident that I could prove myself worthy. It was after my first year in IIT, during summer vacations, when I again encountered by sports, this time Lawn Tennis. I always wanted to learn this game, thanks to my cousin who forced me to accompany him, and we joined a Tennis coaching club. After 45 days of real hard effort put in by me, I had finally learned to handle tennis and could play a decent game. My coach was also happy with my performance and told me that if I continue coaching, I could become a good player. But my vacations were limited and so were my days with Tennis. But one good day back in IIT, we decided to go for a game of Tennis. All were non-players and I was confident of doing better this time. But I don't know whether it was my incomplete knowledge in Tennis, or my friends' discouraging comments at some initial bad shots, that here was I giving again one of my worst performance in sports.

But today I forgot all those experiences, and started imagining myself playing with the harmless looking ball. And since the next game between Tiwari and dude was also nothing spectacular, I couldn't hold my emotions, and I stepped up to play a game with Rijul standing against me. First my serve.... Fault... Rijul serves... Sixer!!. Suddenly the same small ball appeared to have come to life, flying anywhere on its own. Sometimes hitting the roof, sometimes the floor, once this corner of the room,and then the other. I was hitting everywhere but on the table.....

History Repeats!! and I safely conclude. I am not made for sports!!

No comments:

Post a Comment